Wednesday, September 12, 2007



Today is a free day. I got up at 9:50, ran down for breakfast cause it closed at 10. The group got together to go visit an art supply area where we went shopping for the stuff we needed.
I didn’t really need anything but I got a poster tube case because it was under $5 here when I’ve seen that they are easily $30-40 in the US. We waited outside a store for some of the group and I decided on what my project was going to be on because of what happened: A very poor, possibly homeless man with his young boy in a ratty stroller came up to us begging and I gave in. You think a homeless man with a puppy is saddening, how about a 4-5 year old little boy who just looks miserable. I really almost teared up, it was such a blow. I gave him some money and decided I would do a video documentary on the homeless here in Shanghai. Edwin agreed and is excited to go out onto the streets to interview the people around and the homeless. I will come up wish some questions right after I post this blog.
Edwin and I went out and interviewed some people about the homeless. It went really well and we interviewed all types of people. We were very respectful and worded the questions in a way that told the people we didn’t mean any harm or insult. Some commotion was brewed up when we interviewed a homeless lady. People started to crowd around us. I got it all on video and it will be very good. Edwin and I were uncomfortable with the attention we were getting so we decided to head home.
I worked with the video all afternoon and now it’s really close to finished.
We all went out to eat at a market place very close to our hotel. They had all sorts of different kinds of animals and fish to eat right outside. Drew and I decided we wanted one of the king snakes and everyone agreed. The snake was well near five feet long (alive). We were unaware though of how much it cost, 450 Yuan ($60!). They gave us the snake skins to eat for "free" (pictured). Ying and Edwin argued with the manager about the price for a while but eventually we gave in (it was only $11 a person for the whole meal).
We were gonna go out on the town again but people were really into their projects so we went to bed early (around 11:00).

No comments: