Monday, September 17, 2007

"Little Tiger"






9/10

Today is set up and show day. We met with the president of the Shandong University of Art and Design early in the morning. Then it was on to setting up the show. It went fairly smoothly. We were surprised to find that all of our projects were printed out already on foam core. Yao and my projects were simple enough although there was some confusion (big surprise) and we didn’t get a projector to put up our animation on so we just used my laptop.
I wasn’t particularly proud of all our projects but when the show started and the room was filled with people admiring our work, I had to have a little pride for what I had accomplished. It was pretty cool. And I made a speech on behalf of our UO students, which was pretty cool. I spoke a few sentences and then Edwin would translate (and the crowd thought it was pretty entertaining).
When the show was about finished we did another took another long sheet of paper for everyone to doodle on. A few students, including myself, took advantage of the sumi ink available and soaked our hands in it and painted like that. All in all it was very fun.
After we said our sad goodbyes to the students we headed back to the dooms to shower and get ready for dinner with the professors and president.
The dinner was very interesting to say the least. The restaurant was very beautiful and the food was very “richly” prepared (small amounts of different types of food). Many people including myself were served some small bottles of alcohol to drink. The bottles were full with about four shots worth of their 112 proof “bi-joe” (liquor). There were many toasts and we only drank about a 1/4 shot at a time. Before long the alcohol took effect and then came the randomness. First one of our waitress preformed some Chinese opera karaoke which was quite hard on our ears. Then the president did some Chinese opera, then Ying sang a song (not opera though), then Drew (brave) and then Jackie did another opera song (the only one my ears could really take). Then the lights dimmed and we were expected to start dancing to “rock and roll” (techno/hip-hop). When practically no one got up to dance they turned the lights back on and the president insisted we were too tired or not drunk enough, so more drinking commenced. Then I got a new nickname, “Little Tiger”. The president proposed a toast to people who were born in the year of the tiger (Myself, the president, and Ying’s husband David). Some where in the mix I commented that the president there was less in my little bottle than in his (oops). The president laughed and came over to me, got me another bottle, and poured me a full shots worth (which was insane). We toasted and someone translated later that he called me a Little Tiger.
Later that night many of us went for another round of massages.

No comments: